Have you all noticed that all the posts written by expats on expatriatism don’t know if this is even a word, are about whining thanks for the correction Qwaider ;) and missing home bla bla bla…Why are we expats if we hate it so much? because we don’t hate it or at least i don’t and for me coming to Dubai and starting on my own has been the best experience. The things i have learnt the past year would have taken me … God knows how long if i had stayed home.
So for the list.. here you go, and everybody is welcomed to pitch in:
1. We all love our family, but God! they can really be a pain in the a55 a lot of times over everything and anything. Now i just have the 5 minute call with them daily and this is as far as they can intervene plus i am the long lost child living abroad who get’s what they want when they visit home. In the case of married people IN LAWS as well!!
2. No body knows you! now don’t get me the wrong way as i know most of you all will😉 but this way i can be just ME, no pretending just lil ol me. No worrying over what extended family members or neighbours have to say over my corrupt up bringing.
3. It’s my way always. Just at home of course, i wonder if they are willing to apply this at work… T.V channels, bed time hehehe no my parents never applied this even when i was a kid but i am sensitive to light and sound when i want to sleep, shower time no need to make shower reservations before going out that is if you didn’t have the luxury of a private bathroom.
4. You defenetly grow up. Being broke half way through the month is not an option, you have bills to pay and luckly just one mouth to feed🙂
5. Addition by 7aki Fadi: Depending on what country you are expated to, there is complete religious freedom and nobody judges you if you don’t follow the religion.
6. Addition by Tinkerbella: the casuality of social obligations.. you dont have to pull out all the bells and whistles everytime anyone comes over, you can just take it easy and not do anything.
not to mention that you will *never* get any unexpected visitors and ppl who just show up at your door at 11pm expecting you to invite them over to spend the night!
in the expat world, any visits are always coordinated days/weeks in advance cuz everyone’s so busy
That’s about it, i gota go work… i just mentioned i have bills to pay…